Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is search engine optimization that is performed to ensure that a business or organization listing is complete and accurate while ranking as high as possible in the local search results page of the major search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing.[/spoiler]
2. Why Do I need to Care About SEO & Internet Marketing?
- 57% of internet users search the web every day and 46% of those searches are for product information or services.
- 85% of qualified Internet traffic is driven through search engines, however 75% of search engine users never scroll past the first page of results.
- 75% of the clicks on Google are organic, the rest are on ads
- Over 50% of consumers rely solely on Search Engines
- “Yellow Page usage amongst people in their, say below 50, will drop to near zero over the next five years.”– Bill Gates, 2007
Embrace SEO or Go the Way of The Dinosaurs.
3. How long does it take to see results?
It depends on
- the competitiveness of your organization’s industry keywords and
- the size of the city you are listed in which again relates to competitiveness or the number of listings.
- The design of your website and how quickly your site administrator makes the recommended SEO changes.
For example, there will naturally be more restaurants in a certain city than there will be driving schools. Thus restaurants are going to have industry keywords that are more competitive and take longer to see results. Similarly for larger cities…
You will have many more restaurants in Seattle than you will in the small town of Kent.
Results begin to occur typically within 30-60 days from the date of order. Yes, patience wins the SEO game. If you want the long-term sustainable results for your business that our local SEO services bring, you need to be willing to wait in the initial days and trust the results will come.
4. Why doesn’t my Web site rank very well in the search engines?
Having your website rank high in the search engines is a science and the rules for search engine optimization (SEO) are always changing. Here are some reasons why you may be having poor ranking:
- Incorrect usage of the TITLE tag or no TITLE tag content.
- Too many occurences of the same word in a page.
- Canonical error (both www and non-www versions of a site)
- Missing H1 and H2 heading tag content.
- Missing ALT tag content in your graphic links.
- No meaningful content in the first 250 characters on each page.
- Less than 200 words per page.
- Very few pages on your website.
- No links from other websites to your website (link popularity).
In addition, if the goal is to get the site in Google’s “Local Maps 7-Pack”, then additional factors such as number of verified listings, citations and reviews are most important.
Also, you should always submit your site to any search directories manually. Please do not use automated submission services.
5. What is my site ranking dependent on?
Site ranking tends to be “cumulative” and some of the factors on which it is dependent are as follows:
- The specific keyword phrases (search terms) that have been targeted
- The overall competitiveness of your industry – how many players are there
- Whether you are targeting a regional, national, or international market
- How well ranking is monitored and the site tweaked over time for SEO improvement
- The progress of your reciprocal linking campaign
- Number of competitor sites achieving new ranking themselves
6. Does every page of my website really need to be optimized?
Every page of a website can be a potential entry point for visitors. You can’t predict which page or pages will be ranked the best for specific keywords. As such, each page must be individually optimized to for optimal ranking. Collectively, all pages of your website reinforce the common “theme” of the site, which also can help boost ranking.
7. Why are SEO services so expensive?
SEO is a highly-specialized craft requiring much research, forethought, skill and can be extremely time-consuming to implement correctly. However, compared to offline and print advertising, SEO is quite cheap. The cost of having your website SEO optimized is by far the best advertising dollars spent and the return on your investment (ROI) can be very great.
8. Can you guarantee a number #1 position in the search engines?
Nobody can guarantee a number #1 position or specific ranking for your site for a given keyword phrase. There are simply too many factors beyond anyone’s control – the search engines changing their ranking algorithms, efforts made by competitors, and new sites being added to the Web.
Obtaining a specific ranking is analogous to managing a portfolio. Your financial advisor will do their best to monitor the stock market and other indicators and to make sure your portfolio is managed to the best of their abilities. However, your advisor cannot guarantee that your portfolio will be at a specific dollar value or even that the amount will be up at all by a given date.
9. What do I do if I have more questions?
Contact us! We live & breathe internet marketing, and we do SEO because we love it. We’ll be happy to chat with you about what it would take to improve your site.